Skip to main content

Legends and Divas Sneek Peek


We have a our latest show coming up this Saturday, Legends and Divas. Having a wide range of artists to choose from, just who do we give you for a sneek peek?!


Lady Gaga - Applause (Official)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pco91kroVgQ


Here are some song facts for you to enjoy...


(from Wikipedia)
"Applause" is a song by American singer Lady Gaga from her third studio album, Artpop (2013). It was released as the album's lead single through Interscope Records on August 12, 2013. Written and produced by Gaga, DJ White Shadow, Dino Zisis and Nick Monson, additional songwriters included Martin Bresso, Nicolas Mercier, Julien Arias and William Grigahcine. "Applause" was inspired by the cheering of her fans, which kept her motivated during the months she toured with the Born This Way Ball in pain, before cancelling it due to a hip injury. It is an electropop and Eurodance song built around synthesizers and hi-NRG beats, with lyrics addressing how Gaga is dependent upon her fan's adoration and how she lives to perform.

The song received generally positive reviews from music critics, who praised its catchy chorus and favorably compared it to the material featured on Gaga's debut album, The Fame (2008). "Applause" achieved commercial success in a number of major music markets. In the United States, it peaked at number four on the Billboard Hot 100, becoming Gaga's twelfth top-ten single. "Applause" has been certified triple platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA).

An accompanying music video directed by fashion photography duo Inez and Vinoodh was released on August 19, 2013, and broadcast on jumbotrons across Times Square. The video received positive reviews from critics, who saw it as a profile of Gaga herself and noted references to German Expressionist cinema and Andy Warhol. To promote the record, Gaga opened the 2013 MTV Video Music Awards with a performance of the song in which she represented her career through several on-stage wardrobe changes. She also performed it live on Good Morning America, Saturday Night Live, her residency show at Roseland Ballroom, and on her tour ArtRave: The Artpop Ball.



(from songfacts)
Gaga sings on the song of living for her fans' applause - the way they cheer and scream for her. "In my heart of hearts as I was writing, I knew that if I asked [the fans] to cheer for me before I sang or if I alluded to the fact that they would cheer for me before I sang," said Gaga to Women's Wear Daily. "They do that all the time for me; before I even open my mouth, the fans start cheering for me. And so this exclamation, 'Give me that thing that I love. Give it to me. I'm ready, start the music.' I'm from New York. I've worked since I was a five-year-old to be a performer. All my life. I deserve to be here. I'm ready."

The song's music video was directed by Dutch fashion photographers and past Gaga collaborators Inez & Vinoodh and was inspired by Gaga's passion for shapeshifting. We see the singer wearing an assortment of outfits including a clam shell bikini and a dress made of grass-green mosaic tiles. There are 12 costume changes in total and Gaga told Good Morning America: "When we were on set we did a lot of different looks and they're each very representative of different parts of me, as well as my obsession with transforming."

Gaga told The Guardian that rather than being a song for herself, "Applause" is as universal as any love song. "It's so interesting for people to say that the lyrics are all about me the performer," she said. "I want you to feel that way about yourself, that's why I wrote the song. I want you to wake up in the morning and say: 'I live for your applause, look at me today, I'm having a great day, I'm going to work and I'm going to have a fantastic lunch with my friends.' But it's not to be taken quite as seriously and as literally as people make it to be, which is why in the verses I'm sort of making fun of what people think about fame."


When she hosted Saturday Night Live on November 16, 2013, Gaga used this song in her monologue, turning the concept of cheap applause into a comedy bit. "Give it up for New York," she said, before explaining that there were two types of applause: the kind you earn and the kind you get by pandering to the audience. "I am a fan of both, and I wrote a song about," she said, launching into a brief performance of the song.

Comments